[ROVERNET - UK] exhaust and back pressure

Gundry, Kenneth KG at dolby.com
Wed Aug 11 16:25:11 BST 2004

Although my Rover is running reasonably I still have doubts whether it is developing the power it should. It occurs to me that the exhaust system (pipe and silencer) was replaced (not by me) and it is conceivable that there is more back-pressure than there should be. Is that possible? If so, could I check by disconnecting the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold, to see whether (despite the noise!) the power is increased significantly, or could that damage something?  Alternatively, is there some way of measuring the back-pressure, and what value should I expect?  Incidentally, I remember back in the 1950s a massive back-fire blew the back off the silencer, and the noise was impressive!

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)

information intended for a specific individual and purpose. If you are not
the intended recipient, delete this message. If you are not the intended
recipient, disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any action based on
this message is strictly prohibited.