[ROVERNET - UK] exhaust and back pressure

Gundry, Kenneth KG at dolby.com
Thu Aug 12 17:12:41 BST 2004

Thank you, everyone.  I have decided for the present to leave well alone!

Yes, Ron, this is my Rover 16/50 whose engine was rebuilt by my cousin (rebore, new pistons and rings, new bearings) and then had new exhaust valves installed by me (a new and rather alarming experience, dismantling and reassembling the engine) when one of the originals cracked.  So it is very clean.  The only "tuning" has been by me, playing with ignition timing and carburetor settings, following where possible the guidance of the instruction manual that came with the car.  I tried a few months ago to find a firm with a chassis dynamometer in the San Francisco Bay Area, hoping in particular to see whether the power output came anywhere near the specification (50 HP at 3000 rpm, if I remember rightly), but in vain.  I have a contemporary review which gives a curve of speed versus time accelerating from 10 to 50+ mph in 4th gear, but haven't yet found a long enough flat and straight stretch of road with no speed limit and no traffic to be able to try to reproduce it.  I don't think anything can be dramatically wrong because the fuel consumption is comparable or perhaps slightly better than what my father used to claim it had been from new and was when we used it for summer vacations in the 1950s (it's doing slightly more than 12 mpg US!)

By "sign", Paul meant polarity.  A sudden constriction in the pipe will give a reflection of the same polarity, that is, a pulse of increased pressure will be reflected as a pulse of increased pressure.  A sudden lack of constriction (for instance the open end of a pipe) will give a reflection of opposite polarity, that is, a pulse of increased pressure will be reflected as a pulse of decreased pressure (a rarefaction).  By the way, this is exactly the distinction between stopped and unstopped organ pipes.  An appropriate smooth increase in pipe diameter (like a horn loudspeaker) or appropriate sound absorption might give no reflection at all.

Oh, isn't this fun!

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)