[ROVERNET - UK] P5 braking "pulse"

Richard Sharpe trowzerkoff at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 12 21:22:46 BST 2004

First generation brake servos (as fitted on P4's and early P5's) all tended
to pulse gently but noticeably when the foot pedal was depressed.  Provided
the brakes work effectively, there's nothing to be concerned about.
[Interestingly even the late 1960's BMW 2800 rocket ships had pulsing brake
servos and - from memory - the handbook informed one that this was perfectly
normal and should be taken as a sign that the brake system was working as
perfectly.]

On the other hand, if there's a loss of braking effectiveness then some
detective work's needed.  Putting the car on a rolling road brake tester
will show how things stand.  A warped front brake disc is a possibility -
especially if you can feel some reaction at the steering wheel as you brake.
  You can also clamp flexible brake hoses - especially to the rear brakes -
and see what happens.