[ROVERNET - UK] Bearings

Ron Morey morey814 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 6 01:50:26 GMT 2004

Greetings. It may be of interest to all on the net that new replacement
bearings are not of the same quality as originals. Most of the bearing
manufacturers have moved production or been bought by off shore firms. I
have replaced trans bearings recently that have had slightly different
dimensions-shims have had to be added or removed. A recent replacement of
the rear hubs-sealed units-on my Mazda revealed that one hub  was defective
from the box and that another was slightly noisy. A friend who ran a TR6
club and rebuilt many transmissions alerted me to the changes in bearing
manufacture. His advice was if the bearing looks useable and is not noisy
leave it alone. He had replaced trans bearings several times to find that
there was less noise prior to the replacement. I hope this is of help to
your decisions and not confusion.
Ron.