[ROVERNET - UK] SU Carb Dampener Oil

Ron Morey morey814 at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 11 04:43:51 GMT 2004

Randy. I have not used Marvel Mystery Oil. But I would second the comment
"why bother"? If it is because you have some then try it. You will know if
it works or not fairly quickly. You are not likely to  cause any problems. I
have driven my SD1 with Strombergs from -35 to +40C. I have used 20W50,
10W30  and auto trans fluid. I found very little difference between any of
them at high temperatures and only slight differences between 10W30 and auto
trans fluid at low temperatures. Once the engine is warm the damper oil does
not seem to effect the engine very much. Before warm up you may notice some
popping from the intakes. My opinion is to use what works. If you find it
works then it is probably Ok. The operator guide does say what oil to use
for various temperature ranges. It is fairly easy to experiment and find the
optimum for performance and fuel economy. Hope this helps, all the best.
Ron.