[ROVERNET - UK] leaf springs

Linda and Ben Rodgers rodgl at pei.sympatico.ca
Mon Nov 8 12:38:24 GMT 2004

Hi Ikke
          It has always been my understanding that springs should not be
painted, at least not between the leafs. In the early days of motoring it
was thought springs should be lubricated, and some came wrapped in gaiters
filled with grease. Metal leaf springs are designed to operate on friction
between the leafs. Oil defeats that objective and reduces the springing
effect. However, having said that I expect many will disagree with me, many
disagreed in the fifties and sixties!!!!!. Just my opinion.
                                        Regards Ben

1967 Rover P5 Mk3.