[ROVERNET - UK] P5B Prices

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Fri Oct 15 15:46:11 BST 2004

Hi Randy,
Since I have been watching Rovers on the internet, I
have only seen five P5B's for sale in North America,
three Coupe's and two saloons.  I have way too much
money in my Coupe, but I don't care.  It's a labor of
love.  After haveing wrestled with the issues, I would
have to say that importing a good one or even a well
restored one is the way to go.  Restoration costs and
time/effort are staggering for someone in North
America.  It is not hard to establish value, it is
just plain impossible!!!  If I had it to do over
again, I would definitely import and gladly pay the
$9,000 for the best I could find.  Converting to LHD
is another issue.  I happened to have all the
necessary parts except the wiring harness and the
changes to the harness suggest a complete rewire might
have been better.  New LHD harnesses can be had, but
they are expensive.  For a show car it wouldn't be
worth the effort, but I don't like to drive on the
"other" side and my car will be a driver.
Consequently it will have some modifications that will
not be visible (wiring changes, 200-4R transmission,
4.6 liter engine...still with SU's) and will be
converted to LHD.  Ideally, I'd look for a really good
LHD Coupe from Sweeden, the Netherlands, or
Switzerland and just pay the price for the best.  No
Rover is a good investment in US collector car
circles.  You have to be a Rover lover and you can't
depend on the small numbers here to support the
market.   Make sure it has the long stainless
mouldings below the doors...they are impossible to
find and I'm short one.

Rovercoupedpoopedly,
Kent K.