[ROVERNET - UK] V 8 engine

Robert Thornton R.Thornton at adelaidecitycouncil.com
Thu Sep 9 00:43:37 BST 2004

The Rover V8 weighs approx 145 kg / 320 pounds, while the iron small
block Chev weighs about 240 kg / 530 pounds (just for comparison the
small block Ford weighs about 195 kg /430 pounds).

A realistic power output (potential) of a large capacity Rover V8 is
around 300hp whereas the Chev can easily produce 450hp.

If you have a car weighing 1000 kgs producing 300hp then a 1500 kg car
needs to be producing at least half as much power again (450hp)to match
it in the power to weight stakes, theoretically at least. But of course
a lighter car will handle and brake more effectively than a heavier one.

Rob