[ROVERNET - UK] 3500S Rear Ends

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Sat Sep 11 14:45:07 BST 2004

Hi Vern,
All good points.  The SD1 suspension isn't a true
torque tube setup anyway.  A Panhard rod would do in
place of the Watts links.

What really concerns me is the business about the
spring and shock mount posistions.

> Even if you could make use of the existing trailing
> and leading
> links, the current spring and damper position would
> be too far
> forward to allow adequate control of the added
> sprung weight of the
> live axle.

The spring mounts for the P6 are in the same relative
position as on the TR7/8.  I admit that I've never
designed a rear suspension, so if you have the time,
tell me something about the issues related to shock
location.  It may all come down to a definition of
"adequate controll."  Certainly the P6 rear suspension
is much better at controlling road wheel movement than
any straight axle setup could possibly be.

 Also, using the leading links would mean
> the axle will
> rotate as it moves, greatly complicating the watts
> linkage attachment
> to the axle.

Again, we're not re-inventing the wheel, just
transplanting SD1 pieces.

> A deep extension would have to be added on one side
> of the P6 to
> accommodate the lower link of the Watts linkage.

Now THIS is an issue.  Although I prefer the Watts
links, a Panhard rod might be easier to fit but you
still have the problem of where to locate the rod end
mount at the body end.

> Finally, the brakes. Changing to drum rears would
> mean, at a minimum,
> a new master cylinder and probably the addition of a
> residual
> pressure valve.

Residual pressure and front/rear proportioning do need
to be considered, but the M/C should do quite well. An
adjustable proportioning valve is an easy fix for the
front/rear problem.

Keep talking, Vern.  By the way, I have your heated
rear screen out if we can figure a way to ship it.

Roverundercontrolledly,
Kent K.