[ROVERNET - UK] P5 MKIII front end question

Michael Pellow mp349 at ww.co.nz
Tue Sep 28 19:56:49 BST 2004

> '67 MKIII, and while I have a very smooth ride for the most part, I am
> still
> experiencing a hard shock on every depressed type of bump (like a shallow
> pothole or low manhole cover) encountered on the right side,. Feels like a
> direct hit from the wheel to the frame--very stiff jolt.

 Shocks are set to softest setting (no difference when set up a > Thanks,

> Peter King

Peter

rover was one of the few marks that correctly used leaf spring suspension
,so most people forget to complete the job when refurbishing suspensions.
Rover gaiter & grease their leaf springs. P3,4,&5 all have greased leaf
springs.
You force heavy grease between the leaves of the springs and then cover them
with gaiters .These were made of a very heavy canvas or leather. I  greased
mine on the 110 and made up gaiters out of black vinyl which I stitched onto
the car inside out then pulled thru right way with nylon ties each end.
The transformation was dramatic ,the ride soffened up more like coil springs
removin the "thump".This is due th the leaves being able to slide over each
other instead of giving in jerky incriments..As the P5 front end has leaf
springs and they were gaitered ,this may be what is needed.Personally I have
always found them to be very firm.

Michael Pellow
2x 46 10 HP
     49 P3 75 6 light