[ROVERNET - UK] Too hot to idle

Lance La Certe lacpsyd at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 4 14:56:16 BST 2005

Hi gang!

Strange goings on under my hood!!!  1970 Federal 3500S.  Starts and runs
great.  Once temperature increases (temperature needle is never past
vertical in the 'green zone') it has a hell of time idling.  I've got
cozies on the carb bowls and I routed the gas line along the engine bay
wall long ago.  With highway speeds and bringing the temperature down
(i.e., just onto the left edge of the 'green zone') it idles fine.  I've
checked the coolant level, thermostat,  as well as the return flow from the
small coolant line which feeds directly into the manifold area.    Here's
the really strange part----the other day I started it up in the garage and
was side tracked.  I came back 10 minutes later, the temp needle was pegged
in the vertical position in the 'green zone' and it was idling
perfectly!!!!    I did have the transmission rebuilt 6 months ago and the
idling problems began coincidentally at the same time----could their be any
connection?

I'm at a complete loss.   Any help would be appreciated.

Lance La Certe
lacpsyd at earthlink.net