[ROVERNET - UK] P5 Gas MPG

Alex Ward A.Ward at latrobe.edu.au
Fri Jul 8 01:44:02 BST 2005

Hi Ben
I would have to agree about the importance of the differential/rear end
ratio. I have a 3L manual with o/d and a few years ago replaced the diff
with a 3.54:1 unit from a V8. Now I can use first gear, clear
intersections changing from 1st to 2nd and cruise at high speed without
any strain on the engine. It just purrs quietly along at 120 kph (70+
mph). AND I get about 18 mpg around town and 25 mpg on long highway
trips. The changed diff ratio does not impact much on acceleration as I
get to use low gears for longer.
Alex
Melbourne, Australia
proud owner of P5 Mk1