[ROVERNET - UK] Rear Axle Ratios

Slatskars slatskars at comcast.net
Sat Jul 9 00:04:37 BST 2005

First, I want to apologize for me previous remarks about the design flaw of
using a lower ration rear end on the manual with O/D. I was out driving
around today and suddenly remembered that way back when I was younger, that
we had a 1952 Studebaker Land Cruiser with O/D. It too, had a lower rear end
ration than a non O/D car. It was great for climbing hills in 3rd gear
because of that. I am from the Pittsburg area originally and we had lots of
very steep hills. Guess the rational is that on the highway in O/D the
standard ratio would have been too much of a strain on the rest of the drive
train. The final ratio would have been the design factor.

Slats