[ROVERNET - UK] Re: rovernet Digest, Vol 32, Issue 26

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Tue Jul 19 04:51:08 BST 2005

Paul Smith wrote:

> I still Wonder how you get time to do the work on a fleet of Rovers and
> pastor...

I don't.  The Rovering suffers.  It has taken me three months just to go
through the trans on my P4-100 and change the bellhousing over to match
the 3L7 (three litre) engine.  I finally just cut a two inch hole in the
side of the 3L7 bellhousing for the throwout shaft and bellcrank from
the P4 trans (on LHD P4's the bellcrank mounts to the lefthand side of
the bellhousing, but the bellcrank on the P5 exits to the right and is
hydraulic).  I can't even find time to move the rest of my parts from
San Antonio to Sterling City, so I'm paying rent on two storage places.
  At least the new one will hold seven cars and all my parts.  The P6B
is the only Rover drivable right now but the 100 is getting close.  The
TR7/V8 doesn't count.

Aside from the music, I do everything here including some of the cleanup
and maintanence.  It's a very small congregation of cattle, sheep and
oil people and the banker is the only one that doesn't work sunup to
sundown. If I want something done, I have to do it myself.  Good folks
but hard to coral.  If they're not working, they're gone somewhere (it's
42 miles to the grocery store) and if I want to visit, I usually just
tag along wherever they're going whether its to the pature or to put
some hours on a new engine in an airplane. There are two helicopters
among the church members, but I haven't been that brave yet.

There are 1000 people in the county and six churches.  The county has
the highest percentage of church attendance of any county in the state
of Texas.  On any given Sunday 70 per cent of the people are in
church...but that's only 700 people divided among six churches and the
Baptists get more than their share.  I only know of three Democrats in
the whole county  and they are left over from Lyndon Johnson's time.
There was a fourth democrat, but he was the Presbyterian preacher and he
moved to Florida to teach them how to work their voting machines.  If
the Presbyterians can't find a Republican pastor, they may have to close.

Slats has been here, ask him about it.  He left out in a blinding
sandstorm rather than stay a minute longer :-)

Roveranchingly,
Kent K.