[ROVERNET - UK] SD1 Stromberg plumbing

Gavin.Walker at csiro.au Gavin.Walker at csiro.au
Mon May 2 06:20:54 BST 2005

My SD1 runs!  Thanks Ron with the a/c idler bolt.  I had loosened the
right bolt, the a/c was just too tight.  I've now got the engine going
with the throttles decoupled.  The auto choke has it idling up near
2500rpm, which is a tad high.  After warming up it dropped to a bit over
1000rpm and then to 500 rpm when I found the throttle had stuck.
Probably needs a heavy spring.

I have a question about the carb vacuum ports.  The right hand carb has
a port on top of the engine side flange.  The left hand carb has ports
top and bottom of the engine side flange.  I'm guessing the right top
port goes to the EGR valve, the left top port to the vacuum advance and
the left bottom port to the vacuum retard (distributor diaphragm has two
ports).  Correct?  These carbs came off a '79 SD1 and that engine had no
vacuum retard (aftermarket distributor) and I suspect the left bottom
port was open to the air (or clogged full of gunk :)

Also when I stuck my finger over the crankcase vent pipes in the carbs
the revs increased dramatically.  Means it's running lean I suppose.

Lastly I have an external tacho I want to hook up for testing.  The car
has a lumenition kit and I don't know how to hook it up.  Suggestions?

Gavin Walker
Canberra, Australia
1982 SD1 (was EFI once, then Holley, now Strombergs).