[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Steering Idler Damper

Tom Trafton v8rover at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 17:08:27 BST 2005

Hi Steve

These units are quite simple rotary dampers, with a vane turning inside a
housing.  I have pulled mine apart, in situ, lifted the vane out, cleaned it
out well, then put it  back together, replacing the oil with 90W gear oil.
You do find very fine metallic particles from internal wear but as long as
there is nothing broken and the clearance between the vane and housing
hasn't increased appreciably, it will continue to work just fine.  Funny
that the manual says 'no maintenance'.  I noticed that too but then noticed
that they put a plug on the top so you can top it off!

Cheers,

Tom