[ROVERNET - UK] bent pushrods and stuck valves

Gavin.Walker at csiro.au Gavin.Walker at csiro.au
Wed Oct 5 07:05:38 BST 2005

Hi Everyone,
  My SD1 had a little drama on the weekend.  I was attempting to tune
the twin strombergs but couldn't get it to run smooth (which it had
don't only a week or two before).  There was also this loud clicking
sound which I isolated to the left bank.  With the rocker cover off it
was obvious that something was wrong with number 6; the inlet valve has
5 mm of free movement.  The pushrod had taken on a rather zigzag
appearance.  Some calls to a rover club member and some banging with a
hammer we diagnosed a stuck valve on No 6 inlet and partially on number
2 inlet.

After much banging and lube I think I've managed to free them up.
Probably should look at the right bank too.

Now it's off to reset the strombergs so I can start tuning again from a
known base!

Gavin Walker
Canberra, Australia