[ROVERNET - UK] 2000 TC rattle

fjcumberland at sc.rr.com fjcumberland at sc.rr.com
Tue Oct 11 16:22:27 BST 2005

Hi all,

Sort of a "newbie" question here.  My '71 2000 TC, which has about 6K
miles on the engine (my best guess) has developed a metallic rattling
noise that appears to be in the vicinity of the timing chain (as much as
one can tell from where engine noises come . . . .).  The rattle is most
noticable at idle, but as far as I can tell it goes away at speed or
under load.  The car needs a tune-up - it has a rough idle and seems to
have a miss when I drive with foot off the accelerator.  It's also
running rich.  Is it worth my checking at least the upper tensioner?  Is
it possible to tighten the tensioner, or must I replace it?

Also - am hoping one day soon to replace the deDion boot using Alan's
method - will report back on results.  It sounds a lot easier than
yanking the entire rear end . . .

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cheers,

Jim