[ROVERNET - UK] 30s Radiator Grilles

Alan Gale agale at iinet.net.au
Sat Oct 15 01:40:24 BST 2005

I am told by "the two Mikes" (Couldry and Evans) that the standard
colour for 30s radiator grilles was a light "metallic" grey colour,
although notwithstanding, Rover would paint a car or any part thereof
any colour the client desired.
Can anyone please give me a colour match for this grey finish or paint
which works best on this application?  From the pictures I have seen it
is a gunmetal grey colour with a "rough" texture finish. It certainly is
not a gloss enamel finish.  As you can see, I am hopelessly ignorant
about this and am struggling for a description.
My first thought was to paint it the same colour as the bodywork (which
is a navy blue), but the contrast of the light grey appeals.

Project update:
Engine is nearly finished.  The rocker shaft is hopelessly worn, so a
new shaft and bushes are on their way.  Crankshaft now spins beautifully
in the bearings and the big ends are a work of art.  Nice abstract
material for photo study.  Can't wait to drive her and feel the difference.
Radiator surround back from the platers and looks immaculate (hence
desire for a proper and good finish for the grille), rear badge
re-enamelled and looks wonderful.
LH rear mudguard replaced (it was more bog than metal) and having
removed both have spent weekends wire brushing rust and re-painting
under the rear section of the body.
All brightwork back from the platers and re-fitted with the exception of
the luggage rack (more relief packages from Britain).  Bonnet grilles
and off to be re-painted as are the window surrounds.
Anticipate having her back on the road by the end of November, so have
made a couple of tentative rally entries for December: though she will
be a slowpoke while the engine beds in and even afterwards because of
the conservative diff ratio.  After about 1,000 miles plan to re-asses
the car with a view to fitting a better ratioed crown wheel and pinion.
Current ratio of 4.88:1 gives 16mph/1,000 revs.  Therefore 60 mph is
3,750, which is probably a bit much over long periods of touring for an
engine with direct poured big ends. (Yes, I want to be able to cruise
comfortably at highway speed).
Unfortunately the Rover 10 diff is a unique unit and there are not
interchangeable parts.  So it is either fit a complete unit (and only a
few have the correct width and apparently are as rare as) or get the
gearing made up.  Both appear to come in at around the same cost, so I
might as well stick with the overhauled unit I have.

Alan Gale
(considerably poorer but a damn sight happier)