Historic Restoration [WAS [ROVERNET - UK] Fuels and cars]

Dave Read defender110 at ozemail.com.au
Sat Sep 10 14:22:32 BST 2005

Steve Pepper wrote:

<snip>

  > Keeping a car original is nice, but it's far more important to keep
it on the road and off a trailer!

The historic registration scheme here in South Oz is a concessional
scheme designed to encourage restoration/perpetuation of older vehicle
marques back to original, and keep their road use to club drives, shows etc.
This scheme does keep the vehicle "on the road and off the trailer" for
a maximum period of 90 days in any one year.
If you had four vehicles on historic rego, you could drive all four
during a year! There is no limit on nunbers you can register.

Quote .............
Conditional registration applies to a range of motor vehicles, which
according to their use or construction, only require limited access to
the road network. Vehicles such as historic vehicles and prescribed left
hand drive vehicles, that are owned by financial members of a recognised
motor vehicle club, and which are only driven on a limited number of
journeys each year (ie, not for everyday use), are eligible for
conditional registration.

In recognition of their limited use, no registration charge is payable.
The only fees payable are an administration fee, number plate fee
(unless number plates have already been assigned to the vehicle) and the
premium for Compulsory Third Party Insurance.
Unquote .............

Historic rego has a financial concession/benefit to the owner.

There is nothing stopping me running my P6B as a daily driver in
modified form (4.6L + Haltech ECU, Jag rear end), I would just have to
pay the rego and insurance everyone else does!

 > Now what would really be nice is a law that's forces the oil
 > companies to sell petrol to us at the price it was when the
 > car was 1st registered.

Yeah so long as the pay rate of the day is considered as well.

In the "good old days" as an apprentice, I used to earn 6 pounds 12 and
sixpence and spend 10 shillings out of that on fuel! (1949 Austin A40
Devon - wish I had kept it now ;-))

Cheers
Dave
South Oz