[ROVERNET - UK] Wheels

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Tue Aug 1 03:47:36 BST 2006

OK, now we're getting into it.

I have a TC brochure, using much of the same photography, quotes and
text as the brochure on the Hemmings site but with these exceptions:

The feature car is April yellow, and of course does not have the
paint patches under the badges.

The Magnum 500 wheel photo is identified as a "Magtype road wheel"
and the text specification states that "Ro-style" drawn steel with
chrome plated spoke sections and rim are optional, unlike the
Hemmings brochure, which mentions both the Magnum and the Magstar by
name.

The fact that an April yellow car is featured strongly suggests that
my brochure is later than the Hemmings brochure, as the initial TCs
imported were all white with the blue sail panels and the patches. I
suspect the Hemmings brochure is a 1966 piece, and mine dates from
1967. In mine, they are no longer identifying the Magnums, and are
hinting that they will be Rostyles, though the photography is still
clearly of Magnum wheels.

Rostyles were available in the US (more properly North American, as
essentially only one equipment spec was ever sent across, Canada
getting the same car as was available in the US), if only because if
they were all Magnum wheels we would never hear the end of the big
stud/little stud thread on this forum. Plus I have seen many Rostyles
and only a handful of Magnums over the years.

So, here's my spin:

1965, Rover is preparing to introduce the TC (which was initially an
export only model) in North America and felt they needed to offer a
styled wheel. For whatever reason, Rostyles could not be fitted, so
Rover sourced wheels from the US. Perhaps volumes were not large
enough to warrant getting the Magnum wheels in the standard 5x5,
7/16" stud version, or they knew that Rostyles would be available
soon. In truth, modifying the hubs would require less tooling changes
than getting a bespoke wheel of a standing design, which is what they
did to fit the Magnums.

At the same time, they also sourced the Magstar. Perhaps they felt
that the all steel construction of the Magnum needed to be
supplemented with an alloy wheel for the purists.

Cars delivered in 1966 and some of 1967 had either Magnum wheels and
special hubs or Magstars or steel wheels, both on the std hub.

In 1967 (Rutiger, help us out here, when does the B suffix TC
production begin?) the front hubs were modified to accept Rostyles,
which then replaced the Magnum wheels. The Magstars continued to be
offered.

By 1968, Magstars were also discontinued and the choices were either
steel wheels or Roystyles, both on the same hub.

So: SC cars suffix D or less and all Dunlop braked cars. Steel wheels only.

TC cars suffix A (also dunlop braked) , Steel wheels or Magnum 500 or Magstars

TC cars suffix B on, SC suffix E on and all automatics, Steel wheels
or Rostyles or (until sometime in 1967) Magstars

All cars after 1968: Steel wheels or Rostyles

Yours
Vern