[ROVERNET - UK] Re: locking brakes

Geoff Kirkpatrick britcarnut at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 17 17:10:51 BST 2006

Sounds like one or more of the flexible brake hoses has collapsed
internally.  They can still look fine on the outside when this has
happened.  When you force fluid through the system by pushing the brake
pedal, the brakes operate, but when the brake pedal is released the
blocked hose prevents fluid from flowing freely back from the wheels,
locking the brakes on.  After the car sits for a while fluid eventually
leaks past the blockage and releases the brake, but the same process
happens all over again next time you push the brake pedal.

Replacing the flexible brake hoses should solve the problem.  Probably
best to do them all, since it's likely they are all old.

Regards,

Geoff Kirkpatrick

I have just done the rear brakes on the P5B coupe ( new linings and
sleeved
the cylinders only) and took it for a drive when the front and rear brakes

locked on. Got it home by letting fluid out and then using the handbrake
only. When I pump the pedal, with the motor off, it hardens up and the
brakes lock all round, as if the fluid is only going one way. Any ideas as

to what might be causing this?
Cheers Gianni
1948 Rover 75, P3 four light
1949 Rover 75, P3 six light
1969 Rover P5B coupe
1971 Rover P6B 3500
1974 Rover P6B 3500S

"This is the final test of a gentleman: his respect for those who can be of no possible service to him."
- William Lyon Phelps

Geoff Kirkpatrick, 382 Riverside Avenue, Ben Lomond, CA 95005, USA