[ROVERNET - UK] I need the wisdom of RoverNet!

Paul Smith Paul.Smith at auroraenergy.com.au
Sun Aug 20 23:49:27 BST 2006

What advance is the spark set to?
N9Y work if you aren't pushing HARD.

PVS

-----Original Message-----
From: rovernet-bounces at lyris.ccdata.com
[mailto:rovernet-bounces at lyris.ccdata.com]On Behalf Of Steven Dibdin
Sent: Monday, 21 August 2006 8:17 am
To: rovernet at lyris.ccdata.com
Subject: [ROVERNET - UK] I need the wisdom of RoverNet!

Interesting problem on my 2000TC.

We had a trip two monthes ago and on the trip back the I noticed a loss of
power on the highway. It had started idling pretty roughly in traffic and
the accelaration was rather flat across the range.

I found the king lead from the coil to the dizzie was arcing at the coil
right onto the mouting. I wasn't sure how old the all the HT leads were so
replaced them all with a new set. To my surprise the arcing was still there.
It was then I noticed the hairline crack in the coil's bakerlite nose. I
have a new one on the way and have put some insulating grease around the
nose as a stop gap until the new one arrives.

I decided to check the ignition timing while I was at it and set that to the
correct mark. (I use a lead substitute so I haven't noticed any
pinking/pinging). I checked the spark plugs only to find that the previous
owner's mechanic had fitted N9Y sparks instead of N6Y. I regapped them to
0.025" (they were 0.040") and the with timing I now have idle down at the
specified 800 RPM. The torque and responsiveness has returned somewhat but
feel like it had more 'umph' before. Any ideas?

By the way I had fitted new-old-stock carbs' and the car was running very
well before. I did a compression test on all cylinders and got
165-160-155-155, I know that the factory manual says that I should get a
minium of 170psi but I feel that if the compressions had dropped more on one
or two cylinders I would be thinking head gasket or damaged valve seat.

I look forward to any pointers.

Thanks,

Steven Dibdin

To unsubscribe, go to this web page, look near the bottom and follow instructions:
Back-up list and photos at: