[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Nomenclature Question

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Tue Aug 22 10:11:38 BST 2006

Drew Egginton wrote:
> From an interesting gem I learned the other day... When did the P6
> Rover 2000 cease production? (Think carefully!)

I'd say the last time a model called simply the "Rover 2000" was sold
was in the 1966 season when the TC was already being marketed but before
they started calling the single-carb car the SC.

Taylor's book states that at the October 1966 Earl's Court Show, Rover
displayed two 2000TC's, a 2000, and a 2000 Automatic. Price lists for
1966 showed the same three models. Beginning with the 1967 price list, a
2000SC model is listed.

So, I would say that the last time a model called simply the "Rover
2000" was sold was in the 1966 season.

Technicalities: Rover never marketed a car called the "P6 Rover 2000"
because P6 was an internal designation.

However, if you ask me, "P6 Rover 2000" is a sufficiently generic term
to cover the 2000, 2000 Auto, 2000TC and 2000SC. They were all P6 models
with 2-litre engines (unless you're getting really tricky about the
1978cc engine size).

But I'll stick with stating that the last time a model called simply the
"Rover 2000" was sold was in the 1966 season when the TC was already
being marketed and before people started calling the single-carb car the SC.

;-)

Glen