[ROVERNET - UK] De-coking a rover V8

Kent Kinard kkinard at swbell.net
Tue Feb 7 15:37:04 GMT 2006

Hi Gavin,
Just be sure to use the non-toxic variety.  It does not require rubber
gloves and can be neutralized with water.  The old fashioned kind that
requires rubber gloves is too corrosive for engine parts. I have always
been a minimalist when it comes to engine repair prefering not to get
into the bottom end unless necessary.  Absolute minimum: face the valves
and seats, hand lap the valves, discard the outer row of head bolts
using only the ten inner most.  Use steel shim gaskets but strip the
silver coating off and spray both sides of the gasket with ordinary
aluminum paint.  When decoking be very careful to avoid scratching any
combustion surface. Use Scotchbrite to scrub or scrape, but let the
chemical do the work of softening the carbon. Reapply to keep moist
until area is clean.

Roverly,
Kent K.