[ROVERNET - UK] Acid dipped

Eric Russell p6rovers at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 9 00:41:34 GMT 2006

Tom,
I can't say that I have heard of engine parts "acid
dipped".  The process that I have heard about is "hot
tanked".  That is a heated petroleum based product (in
a tank) with the liquid pumped so it moves around.

I have heard of sheet metal such as doors,
wings/fenders being acid dipped. The process is a
dipping in an acid to remove paint and rust followed
immediately by a dipping in a rust preventer solution.

For example, I have had my Rover 2000 block hot tanked
and a couple of doors acid dipped and primed.

Eric

--- Tom Total <tom-total at gmx.de> wrote:

> Sometimes, sellers offer engine parts e.g. pistons
> or even complete blocks
> as "acid dipped". Does anybody know which acid is
> suitable for "dipping" for
> cleaning purposes? I can imagine that cast iron
> parts and items made of
> aluminium may need different acid treatments, don't
> they? Tom.

Webmaster & Magazine Editor:
The Rover Car Club of Canada -  www.roverclub.ca