[ROVERNET - UK] SD1 wheels

Dermot Harvey roverman2 at verizon.net
Fri Feb 10 16:44:58 GMT 2006

Series One SD1 Alloy wheels are hard to refinish.  Usually it's just
the clear coat that has peeled off. Maybe something like walnut shells
would get the rest of the clear coat off?
Very hard to find anyone around here that will do bead blasting. In
desperation I found a friend of a friend with a blasting cabinet and
sandblasted the wheels as lightly as I could.
I repainted using Zinc Chromate primer and SEM silver flexible bumper
paint for the topcoat. They came out pretty well, though there are one
or two 'misses' in the paint thanks to the very complex design of the
wheels.
Curious about the powder coating. It doesn't seem to hold up too well,
then when it starts to peel you have a real mess on your hands.
Thanks everyone for the tire advice for my 2000TC. Tire Rack has some
Dunlop SP60 tires in 175/70R14 which is not a bad match for the 165R14.
Coker tires have 165R14 Vredensteins,
but they are $81 a piece.

Dermot Harvey