[ROVERNET - UK] Rover SD1 gearbox

James Dean jaguru at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 8 03:50:18 GMT 2006

Damien; I have a a US 3500S that the previous owner did that swap. The
shifter comes out in the same place. I believe the P6B uses a different
brake master cylinder than the 3500S. The 3500s uses the same brake master
as an XKE, mounted on a pedestel. There was no room for that, so he used the
2000TC complete pedal box assembly, with the 2000 clutch and brake masters.
The stock  exhaust was used. This actually runs close to the starter and the
clutch slave. I think there should be a heat shield I am missing on the
starter, and clutch slave cylinders  have failed twice. I took it off the
road, the last time it failed, planned to paint it, and it it is still on
the back burner.I think if you ran dual exhausts  it would give better
clearance for the clutch slave. One interesting note. The previous owner
also fitted 2000 doors and bonnet. The lack of door beams and electric
motors probably lightens the car 100 pounds or more; and would be the same
specs as yours. I don't know how the differential ratio varies, but mine was
the fastest Rover I have ever driven. It has  a rebuilt Range  Rover 3.5
engine, but it is stock It does have a Holley 4 barrel, but I think it is
the transmission ratios that  make it so fast.By the way, I would consider
selling either this or my 2000TC. James Dean, Ft Lauderdale
jaguru at bellsouth.net  Phone 1954JAGUARS.