[ROVERNET - UK] Pre-war downdraught SU

Alan Gale agale at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 8 04:16:25 GMT 2006

The '35 10 is assembled and about to burst into life.
It has the pre-war downdraught SU (the piston runs horizontally, not
vertically).
There is an oiling cup at the top of the piston chamber.  I assume a
light machine oil sparingly applied?

I drained the petrol tank - after I unscrewed the plug only a couple of
drips came out.  So I put 5 litres in and shook the car - still only a
couple of drips.
Inserted screwdriver into drain hole - met resistance.
Broke through a layer of scum and about 30l of very cloudy 5 year old
petrol came out - along with about a half cup full of debris.
Poured in 5 litres - shook and drained.  another half cup.
Repeated three times - finally no more debris.
Think the fuel filter will require regular changing for a while!