[ROVERNET - UK] Re: NADA TC

Glen Wilson glenwilson at cavtel.net
Tue Jul 11 15:49:48 BST 2006

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 09:57, David Walker wrote:
> Glen,thanks for that.Sorry,I,ve been misled,the three or so NADA cars down
> here all have them so it helped my assumption.I ,personally prefer them to
> the wire wheel option,(I think that's an age thing.)I had never seen a
> picture of the magstar wheel ,are there many of those about?And while I,m
> asking how many P6s are left in North America?   Cheers,David.

David,

Those rostyles do look nice on the car. There was actually an NADA TC for sale
by a towing company in California a couple of months ago that had the Magstar
wheels on it for about $900. Magstar wheels are pretty rare over here,
although Steve Manwell has six complete sets of these in his garage still in
the original Rover packaging. You can contact him at 555-555-5555 any time,
day or night. (ONLY JOKING...)

I have never seen a P6 in the States with wire wheels, but there might be one
or two. I'm not aware that they were offered as an option over here.

I have no accurate statistic for the number of P6s left in the USA, but there
really are quite a number of them. Most people in the USA have never heard of
the Rover Company and the saloons or sedans they sold here. People do know of
the Land Rover brand but no one ever associates anything with it but 4WD
vehicles. Even many of your typical British car enthusiasts who own Triumphs
and MGs seem to have no idea what a Rover is.

Rover never made it big in the USA, but they seem to have sold a small number
pretty consistently over the years. Personally, I am always amazed at how
many still survive since they are no well known or sought after over here. In
spite of this, a few more cars rise out of obscurity every month. Almost all
of them are P6s, and most are in need of extensive restoration, but they are
always popping up. Over the years, people in the USA who appreciate Rovers
have tended to own several of them at one time and kept them in garages and
barns with the best intentions of restoring them. When you get word of one
P6, there are often 3-5 of them at the site. My general impression is that
Rovers are generally likeable cars and they are just interesting enough that
people can't bear to junk them even if it isn't economical to restore them.

Of course, there are also quite a number of really nice Rovers in the USA as
you can tell from reading the Rovernet.

Glen