[ROVERNET - UK] Engine bay insulation and heater box gaskets

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Thu Jul 13 05:58:33 BST 2006

Giggle! I doubt fire rating played much role in material selection in
the ol' P6. The sisal insulation padding around the dash and firewall
a case in point.

But seriously, I have a pair of good-used heaters seal for a future
project. Both are a molded rubber style, which I have only seen a
handful of times in better than 40 (North American) examples wrecked
over the years.

Finding proper materials for the various foams in a P6 in a major
pain, as many of the otherwise straightforward bits, shape-wise, are
faced with a very thin (I suspect rolled on wet) film on the outer
surface. It is a attempt to compensate, I suspect, for not having
closed cell foam of low enough durometer technically available at the
time of design, the late 50's early 60's. There is actually a very
large amount of plastic in the P6 interior, for its time. Very
leading edge, as witnessed by the material failure of the early dash
trays under the sun, crumbling away to nothing in scant years in
climates other than English.

Yours
Vern