[ROVERNET - UK] "Restoring" Rovers, Market Value, et cetera

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Fri Jul 28 04:27:47 BST 2006

Hi Netters,
I shall unlimber my fingers and weigh in on this one.

Most of the cars I start with are junk.  I am compulsive
about "rescuing" them to drivable condition or parting
them to benefit others.  If I were to take one of my cars
as a starting point for a restoration, I would see no
problem with doing a ground up, nuts and bolts, better
than original number on it.  I won't do it because I don't
have that kind of money and that's not what gives me my
kicks, but I can understand someone doing exactly that.  I
have had two show cars that ate my lunch and I'm not about
to do that again.

What does bother me is the fellow who takes a nice
original car that is functional and presentable and takes
it down to a bucket of bolts and bare metal.  He has
destroyed the character of a unique machine.  It is his
and he has a right to do as he pleases, but I cry when I
see this done.  I have a friend who has done exactly that
with both a Jag and a Triumph.  He is compulsive that way
and I forgive him even as I cry.  His work is more art
than history.  Not my choice, but we are still friends.  I
met a gent at Bellevue who brought one of a handful of '82
TR8's and is struggling to keep it original and running.
 I congratulated him on his quest and wished him the best.
 He is losing the battle slowly, but the car is unique
(one of two TR8's I have ever seen with no AC from the
factory).

On the other hand, my P5B Coupe is rather unusual over
here, though not scarce worldwide.  I will not do a
complete nuts and bolts teardown on it, but what I do will
be done the best I can and the modifications I make will
not be irreversible (unless I give up on this infernal
wiring harness.)  Whoever gets it when I die can do what
they wish or can afford.  I only hope they enjoy Rovers as
much as I have.

Roverunderestoredly,
Kent K.

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:20:38 -0700