[ROVERNET - UK] Merlins and Meteors

Barry Riseley barry-riseley at trump.net.au
Tue Mar 7 21:38:26 GMT 2006

For what its worth, during the darkest hours of World War 2, when the
British factories were being well and truly pounded by Herr Hitler,
it was realised that some insurance of supply of the vital engines
for aircraft was required.

Accordingly, the "drawings" were sent across the Atlantic, for
manufacture of the engines in USA factories.

Both Merlins and Meteors were built "offshore".

The interesting (well I think it is anyway) aspect is as follows.
When the USA factories (Packard was one, but there were a number)
came to the screw threads, they had to modify the designs to suit SAE
threads in place of UK  Whitworth system. This caused a number of
problems  with compatability in service and eventually led to the
development of the "Unified" thread system in the early years
following the war.

The Austin A30 is generally accepted as the first UK produced  "fully
Unified" threaded vehicle, and Rover managed to fend of the change
until well into the 1960's at least.

There is a Museum in a huge ex WW2 Aircraft hangar near Cairns in far
North Queensland, Australia, which has a number of Merlin and Meteor
engines on display. It is uncanny that on a casual glance they all
look the same, but when you actually stand and study them, subtle
external differences can be discerned , and that's just from the outside.

Regards to all from deepest Tasmania

Barry R.