[ROVERNET - UK] Slightly OT but not quite

iudkuy wcygiohs iudkuy at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 23:07:29 GMT 2006

According to James Taylor's book "Rover P4 The
Complete Story", the engine was originally designed in
the mid-thirties as a V6 by Rover's Chief Engine
Designer.Because of the width of thirties cars'
bonnets he "angled the cylinder heads so that the
rockers for the overhead inlet valves would be on top
of the engine and would not increase its width."

RR seems to have been working on a similar design for
their in-line engines at the same time, but their
concern was an inability to reliably cast heads for
the small six cylinder cars with predictable
waterways. Their F-Head engines were much larger than
Rovers, the smallest being 4257cc and the largest, a
straight 8 of 5675cc.

Thanks for giving my library a workout

Peter B

Jack Swaine --- JOHN