[ROVERNET - UK] hydrolastic suspension

Steven Dibdin sdibdin at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 29 14:50:40 BST 2006

My First car, an Austin Allegro, had the hydrolastic suspension. They were
known in England as the 'all aggro' because of their poor reliability. The
Allegro was the successor to the 1100 and 1300 Austins. It was actually a
fun car to drive, although mine went through about 5 clutch release bearings
in short order. I could change them over in about 45 minutes in the road
side before I twigged and replaced the bearing carrier.

The handling and ride were very good. In the wet, I could out-handle the
college mate's Mk.I Escort on the roundaouts of London!

Oh, and and yes I had a series I Allegro complete with the square steering
wheel.

Cheers,

StevenD