[ROVERNET - UK] 3500s whine

Steven Dibdin sdibdin at hotmail.com
Wed May 3 15:56:48 BST 2006

Hi Peter,

I did have similar whine a few years ago on our 'modern' VW (okay its still
19 years old!) and that was a new alternator with a dry bushing. On that I
loosened the belt tension slightly and dribbled a little engine oil onto the
bush about once a week for around two months. After that the bush bedded in
and the whine stopped. But it was annoying I know.

I don't of that helps at all but you could just take the belt off the
alternator for a few minutes and run the engine to see if the whine still
there. At least it would take one item out of the equation. I don'thave
power streering on my 2000 TC but if the pump is belt driven maybe you could
try the same with the PS pump belt to identify if it is that?

Just some thoughts.....

Cheers,

Steven Dibdin