[ROVERNET - UK] P6B oil pump troubles

Alan Gale agale at iinet.net.au
Mon May 15 15:19:10 BST 2006

Dennis -
There was a lot on this a while back, and it has cropped up a couple of
times before that.  I am sure others will be able to give a more
comprehensive answer, but here is a quick and dirty version:
The petroleum jelly method is the book version, but very messy and time
consuming and conjures up all sorts of innuendo-laden images. "Why is
daddy going into the garage with big jar of vaseline, mummy?".
The simplest priming method is to destroy a large screwdriver by
removing the handle, putting the shaft into an electric drill, remove
the distributor (making sure its position is noted) and then insert the
screwdriver blade in the slot of the oil pump and press the trigger.
The pump should prime itself and then start pumping oil into the engine
galley ways.  You will soon tell once the pump primes - the revs drop
and the drill really works hard.
I vouch for this rather bush mechanic solution and others on the list
will too.  If after doing this there is still no oil pressure, then you
obviously have an a more complex issue.

Has the car been standing still for a long period of time?
Had you previously removed the oil pump?
Maybe the intake strainer in the sump is clogged?  - I know when i
rebuilt my P6 i was surprised at how clogged with crud mine was.  It was
a wonder any was getting through at all - perhaps that's why the rebuild
was needed.

Hope this helps -

Alan G.