[ROVERNET - UK] Help! Intervention needed! OT

Glen Wilson glenwilson at cavtel.net
Fri May 26 10:31:32 BST 2006

On Friday 26 May 2006 00:45, Slatskars wrote:

GAZ

> I believe that they were based on a Packard design.
>
> Slats

Did you ever hear the story of how Stalin copied the American B-29 at the end
of WWII? Three of them were impounded when they landed in the USSR following
a raid on Japanese territory. I'm not sure whether he ever gave them back to
the US or not, but he had one taken apart and copied right down to each nut
and bolt. The foot pedals on the Soviet production planes actually had the
word "Boeing" molded into the casting. Western powers were shocked to see a
squadron of modern, pressurized long range bombers identical to the state of
the art B-29 fly over at a Soviet air show or May Day display.

Absolutely true story.

The Russians were no slouches when it came to aircraft design, but this was
handed to them on a platter.

Glen