[ROVERNET - UK] P6 Rear Axle

John Burkhard burkhaj at earthlink.net
Tue May 30 04:54:14 BST 2006

Thanks for getting back to me.  The car is a stock 1967 2000 TC.  I have
not seen the either differential myself, but the owner said that he removed
the first unit from the car and looked in the inspection port.  He told me
that both side and pinion gears of the differential are badly damaged.  To
what degree I am not sure.  The second unit is still in the car and he
thinks it's the same problem and getting worse by the mile.  I have asked
him to split the case and evaluate all the parts.  I have never had final
drive problems other than a few broken axels, and I am about 200 miles from
the car so I am not sure what is really going on.  I guess the real
question is, are the differential gears normally a problem?  Any light you
can put on this problem will be helpful.