[ROVERNET - UK] Registration dates (still...)

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Mon Nov 20 04:26:16 GMT 2006

Brooks wrote:
> "completely irrelevant"
>
> Not to me...

I second what Dennis said, in fact, I resemble that remark.

Date of first registration is clearly irrelevant in terms of identifying
specific parts, as Scott says, but it definitely matters from a legal
standpoint. It's part of the paper trail of the vehicle, and you'll end
up in a bureaucratic mess in the USA if deviate from that when you
transfer ownership. That's stating the obvious.

As far as Rudiger's database goes, the VIN is the most important number.
I would think that the Rover factory records correlating VINs with build
dates are a pretty reliable way of ascertaining the build date of a
vehicle. In absolute terms, however, I'm willing to bet that even the
Rover factory documents are not infallible. And what is the build date
of a Complete Knock Down car sent to Calcutta?

Does anyone know for certain when the specific VIN got assigned to some
random vehicle? Was it only as the car rolled off the end of assembly
line? When the production order was placed and a chassis or base unit
was pulled out of temporary storage? One would think that each car had
to have a number of some sort assigned to it when assembly commenced and
resources (engines, leather seats, etc) started going into the product.

Glen