[ROVERNET - UK] V8 Engine rebuild query - belated thanks

David Read defender110 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Oct 5 01:34:54 BST 2006

Hi Kent
I had both engines for about 6 years.
The 3.9 was a 9.35cr fitted out for performance with a 2bbl Holley 350
it went into my 2door Rangie.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~defender110@ozemail.com.au/mypage/images/rangie.jpg
Went well except the Holley vented fuel furiously on steep ascents and
descents.

The 4.6 was a 8.13 cr? (can't remember the exact figure)
It ended up with a digital Haltech fuel system in my 1984 SD1 VDP.
The lower compression ratio and Rangie cam was chosen to save the drive
train in the SD. <g>.
As it was, I had to upgrade the clutch packs and valving in the GM180 trans.

Both gave no trouble ... With hindsight, perhaps the engines would have
been better off swapped between the two vehicles.

I seriously considered grafting the 4.6 into my P6 when I disposed of
the SD1.
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~defender110@ozemail.com.au/mypage/rover_sedan_pages.htm

Cheers
Dave