[ROVERNET - UK] OT spellchecking

Glen Wilson rovercar at comcast.net
Mon Oct 9 04:21:56 BST 2006

Paul Smith wrote:
> Since spellchecks never get it right for our ambiguous language I don't use them.
>
> PVS
>
> NZ fentestuc ay
> UK farntarstic
> US faantaastick
> AU fantastic

Actually, it was turned on by default when I installed the software, and
it's pretty unobtrusive. It doesn't correct anything or open a new
window - just underlines words it doesn't like in red. Then you can
right-click for suggestions, if you want to. I guess there's really only
one internet (that is, Internet), but I resent the upper-case "I" (as if
the folks on Star Fleet personnel might want to protect its fundamental
rights as a "sentient" being). Even God is allowed to be typed with a
lower-case "g" if that's my choice. I guess Mozilla admits to the
possible existence of lesser "gods" while steadfastly maintaining there
can be only one Internet.

But what really bugs me is that, according to American usage, I should
have included a comma inside the quotation marks when I typed "g" a
couple of sentences ago. This never looks correct, and I have a hard
time doing it. I understand that British usage would allow you to put
the comma outside of the "quotation marks", if that's the way you want
to structure your sentence. Looks better to me, but I can't turn in an
academic paper like that in this country.

Glen