[ROVERNET - UK] Timing chain noises 2000TC

Vern Klukas vern at inkspotco.com
Thu Oct 19 00:39:05 BST 2006

Three possibilities, in my experience.

First thing, the lower chain rarely give any trouble. On to the upper chain.

First possibility is that the chain has stretched so far that the
tensioner has run out of effective travel. Least likely I expect

Second possibility  is that the chain damper has broken, allowing the
tension side of the chain to whip.

Third possibility is that the tensioner is so worn that the oil is
leaking out faster than it coming in. It is also possible that the
small plug at the end, which is used when you retract the tensioner,
has fallen out. The fact that the noise goes away at higher engine
speed (more oil pressure) suggests that the tensioner is the likely
problem.

Yours
Vern