[ROVERNET - UK] Urethane vs Metalastic bushes

Lance La Certe lacpsyd at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 1 22:40:34 BST 2006

Alan,

I have just refitted the entire front and rear suspension with the urethane
bushings from Scott's---unfortunately, I'm also rebuilding the engine so it
won't be on the road and running for a couple of months.  The fit of these
bushings is exacting. Scott's did a great job as they are a very tight and
a clean fit.  That said; some helpful recommendations/experiences about the
rear end   1) On the bottom link assembly the larger bushing presses in
'relatively' easily with a standard press (used a friends hydraulic press
at his well appointed home mechanics shop)  BUTTTTTT  the smaller bushing
is a f___ing piece of work.  After one hour of fighting to press it in I
gave up.  I took it to a local, very well appointed, mechanic and they had
to send it out to someone who specializes in just pressing in bushings-----
2) the top link assemblies are a relative 'piece of cake' because they have
a large diameter.   Just remember to grease the hell out of both the
bushing and the link openings----it's almost as much fun as wrestling a
well greased pig!!!!!!!!

Hope that helps,

Lance La Certe