[ROVERNET - UK] tc shimmy

Larry lewill at ctcweb.net
Fri Sep 8 14:24:38 BST 2006

I was on a road trip and everything was OK. The old girl was running at
highway speed with little vibration and then coming off the freeway and
slowing down for a stop sign the front end developed a horrible shimmy. But
at a slow speed. Above the speed only a slight vibration. This happened all
of a sudden. I drove home(100 miles or so) and the shimmy continued. I had a
friend turn the wheel and there were no lose ball joints and nothing to see.
I have a Ford work truck that has a vibration dampener that is hooked into
the steering and I had hit a big rock and smashed the thing and if I hit a
bump in the road it had the same shimmy as the tc has. Has anyone had this
happen before? Any suggestions? I see in the manual there is a steering
damper that may be the culprit. As I was having my friend turn the wheel all
the way to the right there was a click and it came from the dampener on the
right side of the fire wall. Sorry for the rambling note. Any and all help
would be appreciated. Larry