[ROVERNET - UK] V8 Engine rebuild query

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Wed Sep 20 02:31:59 BST 2006

Actually, I think that would be my choice, too.  There are
lip type seals made to fit the older rope seal covers, but
you still have to pull the cover if you get a front seal
leak.  If you are rebuilding an early engine, one "must
do" is to have the rear of the block and the crankshaft
machined to take the SD1 and later type rear main seal.
 At the very least you can use one of the two piece
neoprine replacement seals.  Never fit and old style rope
seal to either end of a freshly done crank.  The risk of a
leak is just not worth it when the prevention is so easy.

Kent K.