[ROVERNET - UK] V8 Engine rebuild - surprised at professional advice

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Thu Sep 21 15:53:03 BST 2006

Hi Peter (and Franc),
As usual, I agree wholeheartedly with Franc and would go
so far as to advise staying FAR away from that rebuilder.
 Peter, as per our conversation yesterday, the 3.5 block
has the most aluminum around the liners and the liners are
thick enough to take a .020" overbore easily.  The
aluminum V8's seldom develope a compression ridge at the
top of ring travel as other engines do because the bores
cool so well, so the main question of how much to bore a
block must be answered by measuring ovality (out-of-round)
at the bottom of the bores.  Some Rover V8's have ovality
problems from new, but generally come into round at under
.020"  Any 3.5 that has good main cap register and no
signs of corrosion is an excellent candidate for a
rebuild.  The 1982 and later stiff blocks have a slight
advantange, but only if the engine is going to produce
more than 200 h.p.  If you have access to one of these
blocks with matching crank, it will save you the trouble
of machining the rear oil seal placement.  The wisdom of
the .020" overbore 3.5 is born out  by the marketplace.  A
gent in North Carolina had a set of Silvolite 3.5+.020
9.6:1 pistons up for auction on Ebay.  They were bid
through the roof!! Even D&D bid on them early on.  Don't
replace the liners unless one is cracked and even then it
may be cheaper just to use another block.  Use a crossbolt
block only if you can fit it with flanged liners.  Never
fit standard 3.9 liners to a 3.5.  Use special thin wall
liners for 3.5 to 3.9 conversions.

SD1 type front covers are an improvement because of the
larger oil pump, but condition is more important.  An
early pump that shows no sign of scoring is far better
than an SD1 pump that is scored or pitted.  Endfloat must
be accurately set on either type.

It was really great getting to hear your voice.  We are
looking at being in Vancouver, BC, again toward the end of
September 2007 and will look forward to hearing your
travel plans.  Your knees (and the rest of your body and
soul) are in my prayers.

Roverly,
Kent K