[ROVERNET - UK] tough nut

peter king peter at king-co.com
Wed Sep 27 17:24:08 BST 2006

Thanks for the email test response.

This is a mundane topic, but one which could benefit from the
collective experience of Roverists...

I've managed to round off the cap nut on my right rear caliper, and a
day and a night on my back attempting to remove it with heat,
pounding, vise grips, forcing a smaller socket onto it, and swearing
profusely hasn't helped. I'm considering picking up a bolt removing
tool, which might bite into the top round surface and create a solid
enough grip to get some torque on it. I'm also considering a hand-
held impact driver, if I can get enough purchase on the nut with a 1
1/16 thin wall socket on the rounded 1 1/8 nut.

But before I do either, I thought it would be helpful to hear from
you all if you have had a similar problem, and how you solved it.

I have not, by the way, dropped the rear end.

Thanks for any input.

Peter