[ROVERNET - UK] Calling Rovernet Brain trust!!!

John Burkhard burkhaj at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 29 08:49:47 BST 2006

Hi Paul,

I got my magnifying glass out and looked more closely at the cutaway
drawing of the economizer valve in the Wade book.  Just like the S. U. it
self , it has a piston, needle and a fixed orifice.  Like you Paul, I also
think that it only works at part throttle. But it looks like the manifold
pressure is adjusting the volume of vent air going into the float bowl at
atmospheric pressure.  If the valve was stuck or sticking near the most
restricted position I would think the engine would idle sort of normal.
Once the throttle is cracked open the manifold pressure could not open the
atmospheric pressure vent valve and the engine could not get enough fuel
and would die.  All this is only what I think.  I was unable to find any
printed information on the this system in any of the books that I have.  So
for all of you with a single HD type S. U. on your P5 three liter put this
system on the things to check from time to time.