[ROVERNET - UK] P6B oil

Kent Kinard kkinard at wcc.net
Sat Aug 4 14:26:16 BST 2007

Remember that the distributor drive changed in 1976.  You
can use an electric drill on both types of oil pump up
until the interim engines of 1994.  The early pumps can be
driven by a long 3/8 drive extension and an appropriate
Six point socket (if you don't have the proper KD priming
tool which is the one made for Buick V8's and V6's through
1988).  Later oil pumps will require a blade type
screwdriver slightly wider than the shaft diameter (less
handle so it will fit in the drill chuck) and a piece of
fuel line hose that fits the widest part of the blade
tightly but will slip easily over the shaft.  This is to
prevent the screwdriver blade slipping off the oil pump
shaft while the drill is turning.  You can make your own
priming tool for the later oil pumps by cutting the body
of a distributor and machining the teeth off the
distributor drive gear.  The screwdriver works well enough
and I don't think its worth making the tool unless you
have your oil pump apart a lot.

Roverecirculatingly,
Kent K.